Friday, November 24, 2017

Green Giant Mashed Cauliflower Cheddar & Bacon



Mashed cauliflower has become the next best thing to mashed potatoes, or so I've heard.  I love mashed potatoes.  I love them plain, with cheese, bacon, onions, just about anything you can add to them, but now that I'm on a diet I know they aren't there with me.  Let me reword that.  I have plenty of them still with me - in my rump, in my legs, in my arms, everywhere their calories and carbs could find a place to store themselves.  But now I know that I have to leave them in the bag, on the shelf or better yet, at the grocery store.  Not on my plate.

So, I went to the grocery store looking for that miracle food that will keep me from missing my mashed potatoes.  The only package I found was Green Giant Mashed Cauliflower Cheddar & Bacon.  Sounded pretty good but would it taste good.  I like cauliflower - roasted, soup, raw - but how would that slightly distinctive taste make me think I was eating potatoes.  I'm here to tell you honestly, it didn't.  It had a slight cauliflower taste with the cheddar and bacon covering up most of it and it was thin like soupy mashed potatoes.

BUT - I liked it!  It has possibilities.  Yes the cheddar and bacon did cover up the flavor but it also gave it a tasty flavor.  The thinness even had it's good points.  It would make a tasty soup that is thick enough to not need crackers.  This dish was satisfying enough that I can and will use it in place of my potatoes.  In fact, I'm going to look for recipes to make my own and possibly even find a way to make it thicker than the Green Giant.

One half a cup is considered a serving and gives me 90 calories, 6 carbs and 4 proteins.  All very much within my limits and making it a dish I recommend you try for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment