Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Stuffed Bell Peppers



2 Green Pepper
1 lb(s), lean ground beef
0.25 cups, Onion
1 tsp, minced garlic
1 cup spaghetti sauce, meatless
¼ cup, cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic.  Drain.  Stir in spaghetti sauce.  Slice the peppers in half, remove seeds and core.  Place in a baking dish.  Fill each with the ground beef mixture.  Bake 30 minutes.  Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake another 5 minutes.  Serves 4.

Comments:  Most recipes call for boiling the peppers.  I didn't do that because I wanted the flavor to go into the meat mixture and not into the boiling water.  This recipe can be cut in half and made for 2 or you can do it like I did and freeze one or two for a later date.  I put mine in a tight sealing container and will be eating it within the next couple of weeks.  To cook I'll simply thaw and heat in the microwave or that and put in the toaster oven.  Both will work.

The cost of this dish for 4 ended up being - $4.50 for the ground beef, $1.75 for the 2 peppers, the cheese came from a package I had already opened costing me for 1/4 a cup about $.25 (I buy my cheese when it's on sale for $2.00 per pack), the sauce was left over from a dish I made a couple of days ago so I'll give it a cost of about $1.00, which is probably a high estimate.  Total cost is about $7.50 or about $1.90 each.  Can't beat that.  Add a small salad or even some slaw and you have a great meal.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 247
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8 g
13 %
Saturated Fat 2 g
10 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
22 %
Sodium 717 mg
30 %
Potassium 303 mg
9 %
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
6 %
Dietary Fiber 4 g
18 %
Sugars 8 g
Protein 27 g
54 %
Vitamin A
23 %
Vitamin C
232 %
Calcium
4 %
Iron
12 %

No comments:

Post a Comment