Wednesday, January 24, 2018

What Not to Add to Your Salad! #1 Bacon



I found this on VeryWell.Com

Dieters often choose salad as a meal option because they think it will help them to lose weight. But many times the salad that they make at home or that they order in a restaurant is full of fat and calories. The result is that they gain weight instead.


If you want to slim down faster, avoid these ten unhealthy salad ingredients. While they are popular ingredients in many salads, they add very little nutritional value to your meal. Instead, they fill your salad bowl full of needless fat grams and useless calories. 

#1 - Bacon

The bacon loaded on top of your favorite weight loss salad might add a whopping 400 calories and 30 grams of fat to the total nutrition. Of course, the number will depend on how much bacon is added. But bacon on any salad is bound to boost the fat and calorie count through the roof.

So are bacon-style toppings any better? Not really. Many processed bacon (flavored) bits aren't really made out of meat, so they provide no nutritional benefit. In fact, some contain a mixture of trans fat, salt and, believe it or not, sugar!  So skip the salty, fatty toppings and add crunch and flavor with savory vegetables like radishes or peppers.

Comment:  I do love bacon on my salad.  I've tried the imitation bacon but they just won't cut it. I don't add a lot of bacon, just enough for the flavor.  I've tried turkey bacon and the flavor is there as well as the texture so, I checked into Turkey bacon vs pork bacon.  This is what I found.


Turkey bacon has slightly fewer calories and less fat than regular bacon. A 2-ounce portion of cooked pork bacon contains 268 calories, while an equivalent serving of cooked turkey bacon has 218 calories. They both have beneficial protein -- 20 grams per serving of pork bacon, or 17 grams for turkey bacon -- which supports hormone production and helps you maintain or repair healthy tissue. Both types of bacon also come packed with fat. A 2-ounce portion of pork bacon contains 20 grams of total fat, while an equivalent serving of turkey bacon contains 16 grams of fat.

With no more bacon than I actually add I think I'll try to add my bacon, decreasing the portion with each salad until its no longer needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment