Thursday, January 18, 2018

Don't Do's When Dieting



Don't:

1.  Stockpile treats at home, in your car or in your desk at the office.

This is one that is hard for me.  I spend 2 hrs. a week at the nursing home and always take my friend, who is a patient, a treat as well as treats to the staff.  So, whenever shopping I spot items on sale that I'm not supposed to eat myself but know they would like so yes, I stockpile them, making them tempting for me.  This is when my will power really has to kick in.

2.  Eat faster than others at the table with you.

Another problem for me.  I've always eaten in a hurry and have carried it on into my older years.  I don't like idle time and eating seems to be just that so I finish my meals asap so I can go on to something more productive.  And 90% of the time I'm the 1st to finish.  As they say - 'drink your food' which means, eat slow and chew your food until it's mush.  I'm trying to teach myself to do this and to put my fork down after each bite.

3.  Snack off and on all day instead of eating only at regular times.

I've actually just about made it through this one.  In the past I had the habit of walking into the kitchen, spotting something that looks good and giving in to the temptation.  Now I can actually walk by, most of the time.

4.  Comfort yourself with food whenever you're angry, depressed, worried or bored - or reward yourself with food when things go well. 

I fall into this in different ways.  If I'm angry or bored, I do want to eat.  If I'm depressed or worried, I don't want to eat.  If I stayed depressed or worried all the time I would be skinny.  Thankfully I don't get these feelings very often.  Now for the angry and boredom, I'm still working on those.  I've been lucky with rewarding myself with food.  Never have had that connection.

5.  Sample everything you're cooking.

I fit this one 100%, BUT - when I sample my foods I normally don't want to eat the meal.  I sample lightly, just enough to make sure the food is flavored the way I want so I'm not eating as much as a healthy portion but am getting full.  I don't feel too bad about this unless I'm cooking something for someone else and the dishes aren't low carb or they just happen to be desserts.  That is when I'm really in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment