Thursday, December 21, 2017

Getting into a Rut




There are people who eat the same things day after day and like it that way. But frankly, most of us like variety, and will get bored very quickly if that is not built into the way we eat. There are many ways to avoid low-carb boredom. There is no reason not to eat a wide variety of foods, and in fact, a varied diet is likely to be better for us nutritionally. Every cuisine on the planet has low-carb options; you just need to skip the starch and sugar. Also, most dishes can be "de-carbed." 

Comment:  This one took me a few minutes to figure out an answer to that would fit my eating style.  The 1st thing I came up with was to allow myself 1 MEAL a week of something I truly love but can't eat because of the carbs.  After eating on the low carb diet for as long as I have I find that I truly enjoy my 'treat' meal but don't eat as much because I get full quicker than I did before.  My treat meals are a small hamburger (with the bun), or Chinese Sesame Chicken with Fried Rice, or maybe a Banana Sandwich or I may go out to eat at a restaurant and order something besides a salad.  No matter what, I only allow myself the 1 Meal and not the whole day of meals.  This does seem to help with my boredom.

Another thing that I'm doing is to look, not so much for a variety of food, but a variety of ways to cook those that I love.  If you've noticed, many of my recipes are chicken.  It's low in carbs and I love chicken so I scan the internet looking for recipes that contain chicken and adjust them to my own taste and diet.  One way I do this is to go to MyFitnessPal and enter the ingredient listing of a recipe to check it's nutritional value.  If it has an ingredient that is too high in carbs I either eliminate it or find a substitute.  When I've made the adjustments I'll then give my new, healthy recipe a try.  

So, don't get bored - find ways to make your meals happy without all of the carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment