Saturday, January 27, 2018

What Not to Add to Your Salad #3 - Crispy Anything



Crispy Anything

Chicken is a healthy salad ingredient.  Shrimp is a healthy salad ingredient. Fish is a healthy salad ingredient. But when you fry these foods in oil, they aren't healthy anymore. Fried foods are full of fat and calories—even when they are fried in oils that are healthy. 


The best way to avoid fried foods in your salad is to get smart when you read the menu. Foods that are "crispy," "battered," "breaded," "crunchy," or "crusted" are almost always fried. If you're not sure, ask your server. Ask to substitute a grilled item instead.

Comment:  I've found a way to cover this one.  I buy chicken breasts when on sale, package 1-2 in freezer bags and keep them frozen until needed.  I then take out a package, season it with my favorite flavors (no salt) and cook in my toaster oven.  I've found this method of cooking keeps the chicken moist and allows the seasonings to flow through the meat.  When done, I cut into pieces and refrigerate using as much as I need for my salads.  When I go out to eat I always ask for the grilled instead of 'crispy'.  One place that I've found has some delicious grilled chicken for my salad is Wendy's.  Delicious!


I seldom add seafood to my salad but when I do I want it boiled, broiled or baked.  I don't like the fried taste of seafood on my salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment