Friday, January 12, 2018

'Carbaholics'




You're eating low-carb. You're feeling great, and the weight dropping off as if by magic. You're not hungry between meals! You have energy! You can concentrate better! Wheee! You think you'll have a piece of toast! It doesn't matter! You still feel great! You think you'll have some low-carb ice cream! Hey! You're still losing weight! A little sugar in your coffee can't hurt, can it? Maybe not, but...uh oh. Something has sent you over your own personal carb limit.  Suddenly, you’re having cravings, you're hungrier, you're gaining weight, and you're in a vicious cycle that's hard to break of eating carbs, being hungrier, and eating more carbs.


Sometimes it happens more subtly, but it's common to let more and more carbs creep in,  sometimes unawares. If that happens, it's time to take stock and probably start over, at least for a few days, to break that cycle.

Comments:  I've been here!  Before the Christmas holidays I started losing weight.  Then came all the goodies that everyone keeps around for the holidays.  As it says, I'm not hungry between meals and do have more energy.  But that small slice of cake looks so good.  How can I not just take one bite, which we all knows leads to another and another until the whole piece is gone.  Then later comes the craving for just a little more of those delicious carbs.  I go out to a restaurant for breakfast and tell myself I'll just cheat this one time and have a slice of that toasted rye bread that I love so much.  Yes it does come as 2 pieces so I decide I won't waste it.  I'll just eat the middle that has all the butter and leave the crust.  Yeah right!  This must be what it's like if you're an alcoholic.  You think you can take that little bite and be ok.  Not!  One bite leads to another while that leads to another at the next meal as well as the next and the next, and so on.  So yes, we have to look at ourselves as the alcoholic and realize that we are 'carbaholics' and must treat ourselves as such.  But we can do it.  I had to start over but am back to seeing the weight start to fall off again as well as my increase in energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment