Tuesday, December 26, 2017

"Low-Carb" Packaged Foods



Be wary of low-carb ice cream, meal replacement bars, and other "treats" labeled low-carb or sugar-free. They often contain ingredients such as maltitol, which is just as bad as sugar in a lot of ways; it's a carbohydrate that affects blood sugar. In general, products that talk about their "net carbs" or "impact carbs" deserve close scrutiny of the ingredients and careful experimentation.

Comment:  I almost fell for one of these 'low net carb' snack bars.  I was in Walmart and they had several boxes of these delicious looking snack bars on sale.  I looked at the front and it said "3 net carbs".  That sounded perfect for my diet.  I picked up 3 boxes in different flavors and as I was about to put them into my basket I decided to look at the back.  It said 26 carbs!  I have no idea what 'net carbs' are but I do know what the carbs listed on the back of the package are.  Needless to say, I put them back on the shelf.

So, if you see a package that says low net carbs, read the back before buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment