Sunday, January 14, 2018

'Roast' Beef Pita Sandwich



1 lb. beef (roast, etc. - not ground)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
4 Pita, Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread (I use Joseph's)
1/2 cup Creamy Spinach Dip (I used Tostitos)

I used a package of boneless beef ribs, which I had never used before but found it on sale so decided to give it a try.  I cooked the meat in my slow cooker (not crock pot but I’m sure you could adjust to it).  When the meat was tender and falling apart.  The onions and peppers I sauted in a frying pan. I added this to the beef and let it slow cook on low for about 30 minutes.  To make the sandwiches I sliced the pita in half, spread some of the spinach dip on one side of the pita and then added the beef.  Serves 4

Comment:  As I said, I’ve never used boneless beef ribs before but they were on mark-down sale with the sale by date being 2 days away.  The cost - $4.30 for just over a pound.  I noticed the meat was lean, with very little fat, making me decide to use it in place of a higher price roast cuts.  Great decision!  I keep chopped onions and bell peppers in the freezer so they took no time and just pennies in cost.  The Joseph’s pita bread is some I found on sale at Walmart that when I read the nutritional info I couldn’t turn it down.  I bought a package of 6 for $1.36.  And the spinach dip’s price was on sale for $2.99.  I used about 1/3 of the spinach dip making the cost around $1.00.  This gives this an approximate cost of $1.70 per serving.  Not bad.


The taste of this dish was wonderful!  The spinach dip gave it a delicious change from the traditional mayo.  And for me, half a sandwich was plenty (the picture above is for a half sandwich cut in half so they are rather large).  You can even add a little cheese if you want and still stay within your calorie, protein, carb limits. 

Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 256
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10 g 15 %
Saturated Fat 0 g 0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg 1 %
Sodium 411 mg 17 %
Potassium 52 mg 1 %
Total Carbohydrate 11 g 4 %
Dietary Fiber 4 g 17 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 30 g 61 %
Vitamin A 3 %
Vitamin C 55 %
Calcium 10 %
Iron 5 %

No comments:

Post a Comment